Exciting opportunity at beloved and internationally renowned environmental nonprofit.
Joining a collaborative and close knit accounting team in beautiful offices overlooking the ocean, you will make a major impact in this newly created Controller role.
Reporting to the CFO and mentoring one other accounting staff member, you will be working alongside a dedicated group of employees in a supportive community. As Controller, you will administer all aspects of the organization’s accounting function, including revenue, expense, cash management, month end close, external audit and annual tax return filings.
You are detail oriented, tech savvy, creative and self-motivated, taking great pride in providing friendly and timely service to internal staff and external contacts alike. You meet deadlines, ask questions when clarification is needed and enjoy partnering with a host of personnel and departments across the organization.
- Supervise accounting staff performing Accounts Payable, Deposits, and Payroll
- Train and supervise finance volunteers to assist with appropriate tasks
- Interact effectively with financial vendors, including banking services and auditors in order to maximize use of their services
- Record or review and approve standard and non-recurring journal entries with supporting documentation
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of bank accounts and Raisers Edge/Financial Edge revenues.
- Oversee the monthly close process, complete year end close and prepare for the annual external audit and tax return filings.
- Produce and distribute monthly financial statements, investigating variances in accounts to ensure accuracy
- Manage cash balances in the organizations bank accounts
- Continuously develop, implement and maintain internal accounting controls in a growing/changing organization
- Identify issues, evaluate alternative solutions and adopt effective courses of action to enhance financial processes and systems
- Manage and continually enhance the use of accounting systems, including Financial Edge, the Wells Fargo Purchase Program, and the Paylocity Payroll system.
- Provide support to CFO with budget and forecast activities
- Assist CFO with ad hoc special projects and reports as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA preferred
- At least 5 years of relevant accounting experience including the supervision of accounting staff; Non-Profit sector and payroll experience preferred
- Expert knowledge of GAAP and ability to research accounting issues
- Solid background in automation with expertise in financial and accounting applications
- Advanced Excel skills required, experience with Financial Edge a plus
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, work under the pressure of deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced diversified workplace
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including ability to explain accounting & finance topics in a digestible way to non-financial people
- Customer service oriented; able to shift gears and respond to questions and take responsibility in a generous and helpful way
- A problem solver who identifies root problems and recommends and implements actions to remedy the situation
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written); Flexibility and good humor.
Generous benefits including 3 weeks’ vacation and paid dependent healthcare!